Summary of Search Engine Optimization Tactics:
The Search Engine Optimization (SEO) tactics which most Webmasters should consider implementing include:
- (Web) Page Titles, Descriptions, Content: Utilizing unique Keyword combinations in the Page Title, Description, and Content will improve a site's Google Search Ranking. Avoid overused keywords, and differentiate from competition with keyword research tools (Google Keyword Planner, SEMrush, Ubersuggest etc.)
- BackLinks: BackLinks are references to a Webmaster's site from reputable sources: Authoritative Media Outlets, Blogs, Social Media, etc. A high number of references from reputable sources can increase a site's Google Search Rank, and also have a huge impact on a site's traffic numbers.
- Content Aggregation: It is important to present both rich Textual Content and Multimedia Resources in one place: Currently, knowledge graph, wiki, local, maps, social media, news, images, and videos make for 85% of Google search results (DigitalCurrent). The integration of Social Media and Videos is increasingly vital to both attracting site visitors and improving search result
- Content Length and Quality: Google's search analytics have improved to account for not only the choice of words, but the length and quality of content. The optimal word count (currently) for a blog post, featured article, or other textual content form is between 1150 and 1250 words. Additionally, if the Webmaster is opting for long-form content, make sure the writing quality is well above the fold, and solely focused on a single subject. For a reference point, look at sites ranking in the top 10 for a given subject, and make sure to match their content quality.
- Mobile Applications: A majority of online activity occurs on mobile devices. Making content mobile-friendly will not only increase site traffic but improve search rankings.
Common SEO Tactics (2016)
- The naming guidelines for Images also apply to downloadable files on your Website (e.g. registration forms, etc.).
- Keywords should also be used in Page Titles, Page Descriptions, Image Names and ALT Descriptions for Images.
- Keyword Density is explored in detail on the "Keyword Density SEO" page on the ACSBDC Website. Be sure to note the cautions associated with increasing the keyword density of your Website pages.
- The High Quality Content and Inbound Links tactics will have the most influence on your Search Engine Rankings, but they will also require the most effort to implement.
 Image Publishing Guidelines: Google Webmaster Tools Help Article
 Review your page titles and snippets: Google Webmaster Tools Help Article
 Flash and Other Rich Media Files: Google Webmaster Tools Help Article
 Webmaster Guidelines:Google Webmaster Tools Help Article
 Steps to a Google-friendly site: Google Webmaster Tools Help Article